Tuesday, June 7, 2016

The Wisteria Miracle and other goings on in the garden


This is a picture of our blooming wisteria, which for me is the closest thing to a genuine garden miracle this year. Wendy, my spouse; aka 'the garden idea generator' (tgig for short :-) ) has long dreamed of having a wisteria growing up our chimney and showering us in blossoms. The one we planted years ago never bloomed and the trees grew up around it, covering it in shade. So this spring I bought a new one and was told by the nursery that we wouldn't see blossoms for many years. Then this just grew out and we have an actual blossom. Its just one , but its gorgeous and my spouse is so happy. We see it as a symbol of hope.


We are already harvesting in the garden. The rhubarb is being turned into muffins and a rhubarb crisp that as you can see lasted less than a day. The basil is already growing like mad and I made my first batch of pesto from it and this weekend I'll bake herb bread using all the fresh herbs in the garden.



 


This is such a great time of year, everything growing by leaps and bounds and the garden bursting with life. Of course that also means that the garden is prime territory for wild life and I have chipmunks as well as the squirrels and a baby rabbit who has evaded all my attempts to seal off the garden. However, I have found a product that thus far, has worked great at keeping the rabbits away from my hollyhocks and other tender plants. Its called Bobbex and I have found that it is actually effective. It doesn't wash off in the rain, lasts for weeks and I'm hopeful that I won't have to encase the plants in chicken wire to protect them this summer. Will let you know how it lasts over the next few weeks. But for now its two thumbs up and one unsolicited testimonial from me!
Next time I'll update you on the vegetable's and how the square foot gardening system in working out.
Anyone need Zucchini? Looks like it could be a banner year!
baby grapes, will need to save them from the critters and the birds

No comments:

Post a Comment