Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Bees

 If you look very carefully at the top flower you can see a honey bee. I saw this from my dining room window this morning and was so excited that I ran outside with my phone to take this picture. This is the first honey bee I've spotted so far this year, I've seen lots of bumble bees, but no other honey bees. I've planted a wide variety of flowers to attract pollinators, because well, I'm fond of eating. No pollinators means no food which to me is a fairly clear line. There is no question that bees are under stress and the cause is creating a great debate. Is it mites,  neonicotinoid pesticides, habitat loss or all of it or something else? Some suggest a rebound is on the way. But for me I'll trust the people who look after bees, you can go to http://www.ontariobee.com/ and learn what bee keepers themselves have to say. I think we all have a role to play in our gardens or balconys, we can plant flowers that attract pollinators from early spring to late fall to support species we all count on to help feed our planet.
Bee central, my front flower bed
 
 The same is true in all aspects of our lives, what role do we play to give life to others? What do we plant to sustain those we love, those we work with or are our neighbours? Everything is interlinked, nothing we do happens in isolation.

No comments:

Post a Comment